Friday, July 07, 2006

Where I'm From

I must admit that when I first read about this contest a couple of weeks ago, my first impression was that it seemed a little...well, silly. I mean, is it really so hard to insert a few words into this basic template? I had no intention of actually entering the contest, but a funny thing happened. Once I read a sample of the entries, I couldn't seem to get the thing out of my head! It really got me thinking. Just where am I from, anyway? And what little details might I want to share with my kids? I am truly amazed at how many seemingly insignificant pieces of my past came to mind as I was working on this exercise. Maybe it's not so silly after all! At any rate, though the deadline's long passed, here's my version, just for fun:

Where I'm From

I am from hot summer days, from Kool-Aid and Smarties and chlorine and sunscreen.

I am from the shade dappled house on the corner, from screen doors slamming, mothers calling, and pavement that burned my feet.

I am from overripe mulberries warm from the sun, and red juicy pomegranates tart on my tongue.

I am from backyard parties lasting long after dark and peeking out windows to watch the adults, from Paz reunions and loud Randall voices and Rob shy and sweet through it all.

I am from bright blue eyes and inquiring minds.

From "Bah" and "Imagine!" and "See how the Lord provides".

I am from the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; from Mass on Sundays and Catholic guilt and incense and candles and stained glass windows.

I am from magnificent sunsets and dry spring winds, tacos and salsa and my dads homemade ice cream.

From a fast driving boy and a reckless young girl.

I am from pages and pages of fading old photos, loving letters written to me by my mom, and a baby album so much more detailed than any I have kept for my own kids...I wonder where, in thirty years, they will say they're from?

No comments: