Thursday, July 13, 2006

Christmas All Year Long


Quite often, as I'm loading the dishwasher or setting the table, it occurs to me that I really might want to consider storing my much loved "We Can Build A Snowman" dishes with all the rest of my Christmas stuff. I mean, it's July. And it's not like I don't have three other perfectly nice sets of dishes crowding my kitchen cabinets. And I did intend to pack them up with everything else, just as I do every year, once the holidays were over. But somehow, with the excitement and chaos surrounding a new baby in the house this past season, they were inadvertently overlooked. I let them stay put because, I reasoned, it was still winter, and didn't it just make perfect sense to enjoy them for a few more weeks? (And truth be told, I really didn't want to lug all those plastic tubs back in from the garage in an effort to find the appropriate storage container). But winter, as it always must, merged into spring, and the cheery snowmen continued to greet me every time I opened our cabinets. Now I find myself--in the middle of summer--still reaching for those familiar happy faces, but honestly, I don't feel too bad about it. Some may call it lazy (I really have no excuse now for not putting them back where they belong), but I'm perfectly content to keep them just where they are. I love being reminded of my favorite time of year every time we sit down to dinner. December is my absolute favorite month, with so many reasons to celebrate--Christmas, of course, which has always been my favorite holiday, but also our wedding anniversary and now Meghan's birthday, too. There's a sort of magic about that time of year that's recaptured, just a bit, each time we use those happy dishes.

So you know, those snowmen aren't going anywhere...at least, not any time soon.

No comments: