Tuesday, July 31, 2007

5 Things I Love About Jesus Meme

It was such a pleasure to read Celeste's beautiful responses to this meme, and such an honor to have been tagged for my own. This was actually much more difficult than I imagined it might be, but such a wonderful opportunity for quiet reflection. It was hard to narrow it down, but here are five of the things I love most about Jesus:

1. His incarnation. He loved us so much that he was born as one of us. He lived among us. He suffered and rejoiced with us. He taught us. He died for us! For me! For love of us, He endured the agony of the cross. I weep to imagine His Passion.

2. His humility. He knew neither fame nor riches during His life on earth. He was an obedient Son and humble servant. He taught us by His example how to truly and selflessly serve others. He personally took on the lowly task of washing the feet of His disciples!

3. His authority. He taught with unwavering conviction. He gave us his commandments. He is the way and the truth and the life. Through Him, we have the assurance of our place in His Father's kingdom.

4. His forgiveness. Not only did He forgive during His lifetime, telling us "the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (Matt. 9:6), but He also gave His apostles and their successors the authority to carry on this forgiveness through the sacrament of Reconciliation. He knew that even long after His death, people would still be sinning!

5. His Real Presence in the Holy Eucharist. Though it is a mystery my mortal mind will never comprehend, I trust with faith that I receive in communion the actual body and blood of Christ. "Lord, I am not worthy to receive You, but only say the word, and I shall be healed." How awesome!

Now, Nicole, I know you're a very busy Mama, but if you ever have the time, I'd love to hear five things you love about Jesus!

2 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

So beautiful. So well said!

Much love!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Whoa. That WAS beautiful, as was Celeste's. I am going to be thinking about it throughout the day and, rest assured, I WILL be responding later in the afternoon or evening.

Thanks, Melissa!