Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Babywearing

It has always brought me tremendous joy to "wear" my babies, but I had thought that Meghan was past the stage of slinging and that Kristen was still too small. Happily, they both proved me wrong within days of each other! Meghan was feeling particularly out of sorts one morning last week, so, on a whim, I brought out the trusty old sling I've had since Dylan's infancy. She settled right in against my shoulder and we were both instantly soothed.


And late yesterday afternoon, after holding and/or nursing Kristen for most of the day, I decided to let her try the sling I liked so much when Meghan was a newborn. She loved it! She fell fast asleep and I was finally able to accomplish much of what needed to be done around the house with two free hands!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I had that same sling. And such memories! My children are almost 8, 6, 4 and 2. Our baby days are over and I'm packing up the sling for another new mom. Sweet joy.

Unknown said...

Melissa - this was the cutest thing! I guess Meghan was just needing some extra loving that day - she is still so little. I love the expression and sweet smile on Kristen's face. I read your blog and remember when my babies (and you) were that small! - Aunt Martha

Jill said...

Slings sadly never worked for me. My kids were SO positional and would only be held in a certain way. One of my LLL friends was certain she would make it work, but even she was a big shocked at how instantly Aslynn was disgruntled when out of her 'holding position.' The Baby Bjorn worked for awhile with Henry because he could face outward (a MUST for all of my kids), but now he just likes Mommy to hold him all of the time. I enjoy the closeness, of course, but a sling would give me a free hand...
Anyway, your kids look so peaceful and precious in their slings tucked up next to Mommy. A perfect combination. :)

Blair said...

Aw, they look so sweet! It's been months since I tried the sling with Ellie. Last year we would only use it when she was scared of the cows at the farm! Steven Joseph prefers my homemade (if you call it that, just a cut strip of material--no sewing) Moby wrap. It puts him right to sleep and is great for my back!

Sherri said...

I didn't use one with my first two, but had my hands so full by the third one...had a 1 and 2 year old when he was born...that I had to try it. It wasn't 100% functional all the time, but saved me many!! I remember setting up for my daughter's 3rd birthday party while "wearing" Carter. I also remember cooking while wearing him, so I did use it some.
Your pictures are PRECIOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

I have never used a sling and I am interested. Is there a certain name brand or one you prefer? Are there any tricks to using them?

Anonymous said...

Two of my children lived in their slings when they were little. I loved it.

Those pictures are just so sweet!