Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Out of the mouths of babes

Unprompted, and ever so sweetly, Caitlyn said to me last night, "Mommy, when I grow up and I'm a lady I'll have lots of kids and we'll come see you".

"Oh, sweetie," I said, scooping her up and snuggling her. "That sounds so nice! And I wonder," I continued wistfully, "what your kids will call me. We call my mommy 'Nonny'. And we call Daddy's mommy 'Nana'. What do you think your kids might call me?"

I waited expectantly for a moment while she thought about it, then laughed when she finally answered, "Well, maybe they'll call you 'Melissa'."

(I was hoping for something just a little more endearing!)

1 comment:

Alice Gunther said...

Adorable story!

My guess is that you look so very young your daughter can't imagine anyone ever calling you "Grandma"!