Saturday, December 16, 2006

Determination

There typically comes a point near the end of every shift I work at the hospital when, faced with a seemingly impossible amount of charting still left to be completed, I'll panic for just a moment and think to myself, "There is no way I'm going to be finished with this before day shift gets here." But then, with a final surge of determination, I do finish.

That sense of panic, though, is exactly what I was feeling last night. Meghan's first birthday party is set for noon today (her actual birthday is tomorrow, but it worked out better for us to celebrate today) and OH. MY. GOODNESS. There is still so much to be done. I won't even list it all here, because it will sound as though I didn't do anything yesterday to prepare ahead of time. (Which, actually, I guess I didn't, except for that glorious four hour long nap I took with my kids... now that was an accomplishment!)

Near tears last night, I was lamenting to Darren about everything we still needed to finish. Ever my voice of reason, he lovingly reminded that we do finish, every time, no matter how much I may panic beforehand. And so this morning, I've found that final surge of determination. Come noon, we will be ready, and we are going to have the best time celebrating an entire year with our sweet, beautiful girl.

I can barely wait!

2 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

I, too, often find that the best remedy for panic is sleep, glorious sleep. "Tomorrow is another day."

And last night's tomorrow is today: Happy Birthday, Meghan!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Happy, Happy Birthday sweet Meghan!!!

Your mommy and daddy sure love you and they will always try their hardest to celebrate you each and every year, even when, especially when, your birthday falls so closely to Christmas. What a wonderful time of year to celebrate birth.

Cheers to you all today!