Thursday, May 01, 2008

Some days, you just can't do it all.

When it just so happened that Caitlyn, Kristen, and I all had doctor appointments lined up today, I was pleased at the notion of getting them all over with at once. That is, until I remembered that today is May 1st: May Day! Ascension Thursday! Feast of St. Joseph the Worker! I mean, I knew it was May 1st (I did, after all, make the appointments), but somehow (and I'm totally blaming new baby daze here) the full import of the date eluded me until...late last night. I can't believe I could have overlooked such a fun date!

We did manage to put together one May Day basket this morning for the neighbors right next door to us, which Darren and Dylan stealthily delivered while I hastily readied myself for the first of our appointments, and we made another one for my mom late this afternoon. And Good Saint Joseph was tonight's bedtime reading. But, that's just about all we did. No pretzels this year. No rice fritters. No minestrone soup. (We did much better last year.) And, although it sort of feels to me like cheating, I'm still planning to celebrate the Ascension of the Lord with my children on Sunday.

So anyway, about those appointments: Caitlyn's cast is off! She's having a bit of a hard time remembering how to walk properly (her gait was so imbalanced with that "boot"), but her leg, for the most part, has healed remarkably well. We are so happy for her!

Kristen also had a great check-up...she weighed 6 lbs, 2 oz today! She is so much more alert now, too, responding to our voices by turning her head and smiling, and staying awake for longer portions of the day.

And, though I've much to say about the way my appointment went today, I'll save it for another time. For now, instead, I'll leave you with a video of my favorite Christmas song because this is my blog and I can do that if I want. :)

I know. How random, right? But really, if you listen to it you'll see why I found it fitting for today. I sang it to my girls tonight for their bedtime lullaby but then wanted to hear it again. Don't you just love YouTube?

1 comment:

Jen said...

I can't come here and post because I'm crying over here from that song! Just kidding (but seriously, I got weepy). Congrats on the great weigh gain for baby! She is doing so well no doubt from all the love she is being given. Try not to be too hard on yourself right now in regards to getting things done for feast days and such. Kids are so forgiving, and sometimes just reading a book according the feast is enough. You have a lot on your plate, and I know we can put a lot of pressure on ourselves to "do it all", but know that God sees what's in your heart, and that's all that matters. :-)