Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Living and Learning

One thing I really love about teaching Dylan at home is the unique opportunity I have, every day, to see exactly how his little mind works. One such priceless moment presented itself just a little while ago, as I was sitting at the table watching him practice his letters in one of his favorite workbooks. The accompanying rhyme for the letter "N" read:

N was a narwhal
Whose tooth did not gleam;
He went to the dentist
Who polished it clean.


"Hmmmm," I said to him. "I've never heard of a narwhal before...have you?"

"No!" he replied. "Maybe it's a brand new animal that God just made!"

What a great answer!

(But because we really were curious, we searched online and found this fascinating page about narwhals. Mommy learned something new today, too!)

2 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

That truly is one of the most wonderful benefits. I hate to think that if they were at school all day, these thoughts either wouldn't get voiced or I would miss them. And yes, we really do love to learn together. We recently finished reading aloud My Father's Dragon (great story - must read) and the couple of nights Brian had read to them, it killed me not knowing what had happened.

Enjoy it all!

Anonymous said...

"Maybe it's a brand new animal that God just made!"

What sweet answer! I love learninga alongside my children. What a blessing to be able to teach our children at home.

Blessings,
Theresa