Wednesday, February 14, 2007

All's well that ends well

Thank you, all of you, who so kindly left comments of well wishes for my sweet little Meghan!

I am happy to report that her check-up went well this morning. She does have a nasty cold, but everything else checked out fine. She also got three shots, which in no way improved her demeanor! But we gave her a dose of Tylenol and Triaminic as soon as she got home, and in a short while she was down for a very long nap. Having been up so much of the night, I knew she was exhausted and was glad she was finally able to sleep.

While she was napping, I had a wonderful time celebrating Valentine's Day with Dylan and Caitlyn. Dylan was particularly adorable, and very creative today! He spent a considerable amount of time this morning drawing, cutting out, and taping together this paper "Valentine airplane", and I was so impressed with what a great job he did. His attention to detail just astounds me!


For lunch I thought I'd deviate just a bit from our standard PB&J's. It took such little effort on my part to present them with special Valentine sandwiches, and they were so happy with their special treats! I love this part of being a mom--the small ways in which I can show my kids how very much I love them, even with something as simple as a heart cut from the center of their sandwiches.

After lunch we made a batch of sugar cookies. Baking is always a big hit with my kids, and today was no exception! They helped roll out the dough and took turns pressing the cookie cutter, but their favorite part was eating the extra icing once we were finished!

Much to my relief and great surprise, Meghan was in a wonderful mood when she woke up from her nap. We all piled onto my bed and read The Valentine Bears, a sweet little book that Darren gave me on our first Valentine's Day together. I just love that, ten years later, here I am...snuggling our three little sweethearts, and reading to them that very same book!

Darren prepared a wonderful dinner for us when he got home from work, and for dessert, we made hot cocoa to sip with our sugar cookies. Dylan presented us with a card he made this afternoon, and I love it. I love everything about it! The hand of cupid in the top right corner, shooting an arrow emblazoned with Dylan's name; the block lettering; Cupid's tongue; the dimension of the cross; and--my favorite--the eyelashes on the lady heart! So cute! So sweet!


I hope you all enjoyed your Valentine's day just as much as we did!

7 comments:

Kristen Laurence said...

I'm late here, but I just read your post about Meghan. So happy to read that it wasn't anything serious.

Your valentine sandwiches are gorgeous! What a great idea.

Mom of boys said...

I just love your valentine sandwiches!

We also have been reading "The Valentine Bears" this week - my 6 year old finds the antics of Mr. Bear absolutely hilarious!

mom-in-training said...

Dylan never ceases to amaze me with his artwork. He is so talented! And those sandwiches - what a great idea!!! It looked like your family had a wonderful Valentine's. And I'm so glad to hear that Meghan is doing better and was able to enjoy it, too!

mom-in-training said...

I have to add that the picture of Meghan in that little red chair is absolutely adorable. :)

Crafty Mom said...

Your daughter is soooo cute! And what a perfect Valentine's Day picture. I also must add that Dylan is incredibly talented. We made your tissue paper hearts yesterday to celebrate a day of sun, and they made a perfect addition to our icy backdrop. Keep the crafts coming.

Jill said...

This post left me smiling. Meghan is doing better...your little artist's fabulous creations...cookies...what a great Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

I love what you said...loving this part of being a mom--the small ways to show them how special they are and how much you love them! AMEN. It's those small things that they _will_ remember!!

I'll never forget getting dressed up in our bathing suits in the middle of winter to have a picnic on the "beach" (living room floor). The pancakes with smiley faces. The notes on the bathroom mirror saying I'm special.

It's all in the details!