Saturday, October 21, 2006

Community

I was just about Caitlyn's age when I met my best girl friend. Her family lived next door to mine and I spent as much time over there as I did at my own home. One of her sisters was approximately the same age as my little brother, and so were the kids who lived two houses down. They'd all play together, even before they could walk. The family across the street from us had a swimming pool, and many summer days would find most of us neighborhood kids splashing happily while our moms watched from the shade. The "grownups" enjoyed each others company as much as we did. The sense of community I felt growing up was something I think I took for granted and never fully appreciated until well after I had left the comfortable and familiar home of my childhood.

When Darren and I bought our current home, it was with hopeful expectations on my part of a life for our family much like the one I used to know. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. Families here have come and gone and we haven't really had the opportunity to form lasting bonds with many of them. Several families have moved just as we were finally getting to know each other. There are, however, some very seemingly nice people around here that we just haven't gotten to know very well yet. Today was gorgeous, a beautiful fall day, and the perfect time, I figured, to get to know some of them a little better.

So we spent the afternoon baking a double batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and then wrapped them into pretty packages which we tied with a little card wishing the recipients a happy fall. (It is, after all, my favorite time of year!) We signed all of our names and then together, as a family, delivered them to some of our dear neighbors who we do know and love as well as some that we'd like to know more. I'm so glad we did!

The smiles we got were priceless. The families we met were wonderful. Hopefully, this was just the beginning of many more happy interactions between our family and those we visited today!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were SO cute when little, wouldn't it be fun to go back in time? The cookies look wonderful, could you post the recipe?
Thank you and God Bless

mom-in-training said...

What a beautiful, thoughtful thing to do. I know your neighbors must feel so blessed to know that such a sweet and loving family is living close by.

You also chose the perfect fall treat to share with your neighbors. If they love those cookies half as much as we do, they'll be knocking down your door for the recipe! :)

Anonymous said...

I miss those days. It was an instantaneously realization that what we had was irreplacable as soon as we moved out of that neighborhood. I still haven't healed from that loss.