Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Magnetic

Yesterday my mom, who lives only five minutes away but who had been in Florida for the past ten days, came over to visit. Judging by our exuberance at finally seeing each other again, one might have guessed that it had been ten years since we'd last been together! But we had such a great time. We lingered over a late lunch consisting of cheese, crackers, grapes, and cookies. We watched my kids dance and play and I proudly prompted Meghan to demonstrate her new-found abilities (including running and dancing), and elicited some spoken examples of her ever growing vocabulary (now including, in addition to "Mama" and "Dada", the words "Book", "Milk", and "More". ) And, determined to instruct my archaic (though still totally hip!) mom on the most basic level of computer navigation, I helped her get caught up on my blog reading. :)

Later we hauled out a bunch of my new favorite craft supplies and worked on making some super cute magnets. This was so much fun for all of us, and so easy that even Dylan and Caitlyn were able to help. We started by printing some pictures onto card stock, then simply cut them out, glued them onto a couple squares of other, complimentary colors, and finished them with self adhesive laminating sheets that, after trimming, created really durable cards, to the backs of which we added some self adhesive magnet strips. I think I'm becoming slightly addicted to the process, but they are just so much fun! And I'm thinking we'll make some for family members as gifts for Valentine's Day...in fact, I already tried my hand at one for my Aunt Gloria, which is, for now, displayed on my refrigerator with some of the others we made yesterday:


On today's agenda? Absolutely nothing. All my laundry was finished yesterday, I tidied the house before going to bed last night, and we are free to just enjoy today. (But secretly, I'm hoping for a visit from one of my best friends, "Auntie" Erin, in which case we just may have to drag those craft supplies out once again!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are they?! We want to see them!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

You rock!!!

Welcome home, Melissa's mom!

;)

Anonymous said...

Awww...

Dude. You would not believe this week. Work has been CRAZY. My friends are crazy. I'm not even sure what day it is. Have I slept? Yeah, I have, but still. . .

This Wednesday. I will do my DARNDEST to be rested and showered and I will stay until I have to go to class. (=