Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Blog Break

What began on a whim last summer as a sort of personal online diary has, much to my happy surprise, evolved into a forum in which I have been blessed to meet some really incredible, like minded, faith-filled moms, women who have greatly uplifted and inspired and touched me in ways too numerous to count. But I fear that these past two weeks, surrounded by everyone I love most in this world, may have forever altered the course of this blog.

As I celebrated Christmas with Darren and our children...as I sat with my beloved and watched our beautiful and amazing offspring play together, laugh together, fight together...as I snuggled on piles of quilts with my precious family in front of a crackling fire--I realized just how much I treasure my time with them, unhurried and uncomplicated time spent just being together. That warm, loving feeling has remained with me, enveloped me, and now, every time I think I might try to blog, I feel like an exhibitionist, betraying the private intimacies of my family life. And so I sit and stare at the computer screen, feeling guilty for not blogging, but feeling even more guilty for blogging.

So, as I begin this new year, planning and prioritizing, I'm also re-evaluating the direction I want this blog to take. I see big changes in the year ahead for my family: I will turn 30 this summer. 30!!! And, God willing, we would love to welcome a new little one this year (it is a fervent prayer in all of our hearts, especially Dylan's and Caitlyn's!). Darren is considering a career change, which may or may not involve a move for us. And, one way or another, Dylan will be starting kindergarten this fall. (It's looking more and more like we will be homeschooling.) I'd really love to share all of this--the highs, the lows--here, with you, my online friends. But for now? I think a bit of a blogging break is in order, at least for a while. "Normal" is so hard to get back to, particularly when it follows such a gloriously wonderful time spent with those I hold most dear (Darren started back to work just yesterday. I guess we're all still just a little out of sorts).

I wish you all a very happy New Year, and look forward to "visiting" with you again in the (hopefully!) near future!

10 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

Normal is hard to get back to.

Take your time off, but don't be away too much! We love you and miss you when you're not around!

And what is the new direction? Less posts? No photos?

God bless you in all your endeavors and intentions.

One of my resolutions concerning computer and blogging is to turn off the computer at 8:00am for the day until later that night.

It is hard!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Melissa,

My love and respect for you are immense. What a wonderful way to start the new year, with family first, blogging second. I made that same choice myself, deciding only to blog when I had something on my mind that I needed to get out or I had something that I really needed to talk about.

An online diary, if you will, vs. an online "holiday update letter" that goes out in Christmas cards.

Much love to you and your precious family. I WILL be praying as well for that new life to come into your household this year.

Happy New Year!!!

Michelle said...

Consider not allowing comments on most of your posts in order to maintain some sense of privacy. I blog first and foremost for me as a way to get things off my mind, secondly to record things for my kids...it's my big baby book for all of them. I really don't want to lose these memories. But I understand about having your life out there for people to comment on - perhaps by not dealing with comments, you can still have the memories without the worries about the constant chit chat over your life - or the addiction to see if someone left you a little note. Danielle Bean only opens comments on a select number of posts. I'm considering doing the same thing.

Anonymous said...

After reading the last comment, I feel a little guilty leaving a comment! I love your site, I do read it every day, although I do not leave comments that often here, you do need to know you are inspiring! You inspire us to be better mothers, wives and children of God! Thank you, have a nice break, and God Bless you!

mom-in-training said...

Melissa,

I love reading your blog and am always so inspired by you; I will certainly miss your posts! But I admire your choice to put family first. You are an amazing wife and mother and definitely have your priorities right. Take care and I look forward to when you do get a chance to post again!

Robin

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I'll definitely miss your posts but understand your reasons.

But remember, too, that one day this will be an excellent treasure for your kids! Blogging about ourselves and our daily life really is an extension of our kids' baby books. It'll help them get an even better sense of their foundation one day. And will just plain be a fun read for them! Of course you can always keep that info protected--via a private blog just for family (I know Windows Live Spaces offers that security if you choose) or even a personal journal--handwritten or typed. So basically I'm advising to not stop recording in some form!! Your kids will love it one day!

I always view the kids' nap/rest time as my time to blog (if I so choose). Then there's no guilty feelings about taking time away from them to be online.

Anyway, take care. Definitely dote on your beautiful family. Will keep you in my prayers...as well as your hope for new life. :)

Misty

PS--30 is great! You'll love it. :)

Kristen Laurence said...

Melissa, I will miss your posts. Your blog is beautiful and has certainly inspired me since I discovered you. God bless you in your decision, and we hope to hear from you soon!

Anonymous said...

I pray that you find a balance. And that you stick around because I love your site.

Frances said...

This may be my last chance in a while to finally post a comment, so I'm gonna take it! Melissa, I found your blog last fall and have savored every post since. You are inspiring, as the ladies say above. I particularly admire (and have been appropriately challenged by) your joyful hope and optimism, your creativity, your devotion to your family, and your romantic spirit (I love how much you love your husband!). As a newly engaged young woman, I can only hope to follow your example to the best of my ability. If you have any particular advice or encouragement for my fiance and I as we continue our marriage preparations, I will receive them gratefully! fstone at peoplepc dot com :)

Anonymous said...

are you free wednesday? that's my day off. lemme know.

er